Sunday 30 September 2012

Soyabean Milk

Soyabean milk
Last night I soaked 180g of organic soyabeans so that I could make soya milk for breakfast today. I ended up with about 1.5litres of soya milk, kept 500ml to make into egg tofu another day and we drank the rest. Since I needed unsweetened soya milk for the tofu, I boiled the soya milk plain first then added the pandan leaves and sugar after pouring out the milk for the tofu. I then air dried the left over soy pulp, toasted it in the oven to cook it and dry it out further and am storing it in an airtight container so I can try adding it to my next bread recipe.

Soyabeans after soaking

Soyabean Milk

INGREDIENTS

180g soyabeans
water
2-3 pandan leaves
Rock sugar to taste

METHOD

  1. Rinse soya beans in water, then soak them in water for 4-6 hours.
  2. Rinse the beans again, and pour away any husks that have come loose.
  3. Place all the soyabeans in the TM bowl and fill with water to the 1.5 litre mark. Blend on speed 8 for 1 minute. If you are going to drink all the soya milk, you can add in the pandan leaves and blend them together for a stronger pandan fragrance. If you prefer a milder fragrance, add the pandan leaves to the soya milk after straining. I intended to use some of the soya milk for tofu, so I added the pandan leaves later.
  4. Line the steamer basket with a cheese cloth (I used a clean nappy) and pour the soya bean mixture through the cloth.
  5. Squeeze the cheese cloth to extract as much soya milk as possible.
  6. Rinse out the TM bowl and lid, then pour the strained soya milk back into the TM bowl. Skim off any foam on the surface.
  7. Add the pandan leaves(if you did not add them earlier) and rock sugar then cook at 100°C for 10 minutes, speed 2.
  8. Serve hot or cold.
 
Soyabean pulp after straining


 

No comments:

Post a Comment