Friday 9 November 2012

Thermomix Creme Patissiere aka Pastry Cream

I've read raves about how easy it is to make custards and pastry cream with the Thermomix so I just had to try it out. I've made pastry cream the old fashioned method, and it really isn't all that difficult. However, the Thermomix makes this quite idiot proof. The great thing is I don't have to stir and can do something else while the Thermomix does all the cooking for me so it is a great time saver.

I thought the cream looked more watery than when I did this on the stove, but when I poured it out it was actually nicely thickened and very smooth. I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla essence so you can see tiny black specks in the cream.


Thermomix Creme Patissiere

INGREDIENTS

(A)
480g full-cream milk
50g white sugar

(B)
2 eggs
30g cornstarch
65g white sugar

(C)
30g butter
5ml vanilla essence

 

METHOD

  1. Measure (A) into TM bowl. Heat for 3 mins/90°C/speed 3.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk (B) in a seperate bowl until it is evenly mixed.
  3. Once (A) is ready, set it for another 5 mins/90°C/speed 4 and slowly pour in (B).
  4. Finally, add in (C) and stir in at speed 2 until incorporated.
  5. Pour out into a container or mixing bowl, cover the top with cling wrap (place the cling wrap directly on the top of the cream) to prevent a skin from forming. Chill for a few hours or overnight.
  6. Before using, stir a few times with a whisk to smooth it out. For a lighter texture, fold in an equal part of whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, what can you do for the cream? Can I put it inside the dough as my filling during bun making with thermomix..any other usages would you recommend for this? Sorry iam first timer in baking and cooking ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there, can i use this as custard filling inside my home made bun? will it be too watery? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is for cream puffs or eclairs. I think it would be too watery for bread unless you thicken it with more cornflour.

    ReplyDelete